Pages

Tuesday 24 November 2009

INTERVIEW-David Yeates talks about The Tennis Masters

*My friend, David Yeates, was lucky enough to go to the O2 Tennis Masters ATP World Tour Finals in London to see Swede Robin Soderling (ranked 9 in the world) complete a shock win over Spaniard Rafael Nadal (ranked 2 in the world).

The BBC match report can be found here- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8375032.stm

David talks to me (with my questions in bold) about the match, the tournament compared to Wimbledon and dressing up as the Queen…*

So David did you enjoy the o2 masters event?

Yes.

Why did you enjoy it?

Because it was fun.

Ok, why was it fun?

Because we got to see some good quality tennis and it was a good atmosphere and it was a bit more atmospheric than normal tennis because of the loud noises and lights.

You think Wimbledon can ever be like this?

No, because Wimbledon is more for classical tennis, it’s very traditional.

Do you think Wimbledon is for the snobs, and that this grand slam event is more for the urchins such as yourself?

No, because I like Wimbledon.

Have you ever been to Wimbledon?

I have been.

Have you ever been kicked out of the entrance after they see you?

Once, but then I said I was the queen and they’re pretty stupid and they believed me.

Did you use some sort of disguise?

Yes, I dressed up as the queen.

Was it full on like-

(Interrupts) Yes I had a crown.

Anything else?

No…

Just a crown?

Yeah.

So you’re saying you look a bit like a woman then?

No, but the guy was blind, so I just put on a feminine voice (puts on a feminine voice) ‘Oh hello, I’m the queen.’ (Voice goes back to normal) And it was fine.

A blind bodyguard?!?

Yeah.

At Wimbledon?

Yeah.

And this was to the VIP section?

Yeah, I was in the royal box.

Moving on, as we’re going a bit off topic, tell me about the game, Soderling versus Nadal.

Well, Soderling won in straight sets.

Did he deserve to?

Yes he did, his game was a lot more consistent than Nadal. You could see Nadal had moments of genius, but Soderling had a very strong forehand and a very strong serve and he stood his ground really.

Was it flawed genius from Nadal?

I think Nadal has been lacking in confidence since his injury and he hasn’t got into full stride so and anyone that hits him hard and has a real hard consistent go at him is going to have a good chance of winning,

Would you say ‘rocking Robin Soderling’ is a good nickname?

No. (Laughs)

Why not?

It’s a bit lame.

Why?

Because no-one uses the word rocking much anymore. Maybe ‘slamming Robin Soderling’ something like that, because it’s got alliteration.

It sounds a bit weird, like he’s raping someone.

Why?

The slamming part.

It sounds more like someones raping him to be honest.

So overall you enjoyed your experience?

Yes, it was a good day out.

Would you recommend it to most people?

I would actually, yes.

Who wouldn’t you recommend it to?

People I don’t like.

Such as?

You.

Thanks for your time.

_46787542_soderling1

(Above- A happy Rocking Robin Soderling)

No comments:

Post a Comment