Pages

Monday 30 November 2009

MUSIC FEATURE- Dual Review of The Blues Band

The Blues Band. 30th Anniversary Tour

*I went with my dad to see the Blues Band on Thursday, to see the blues legends (or so I was told), Paul Jones, Dave Kelly, Rod Townsend, Gary Fletcher & Tom McGuinness.

I thought I would post a review as well as what my far more informed blues fan dad made of it…*

Me-

Having never heard really exposed myself for blues music before I wasn’t sure whether this night would either make my ears wave the white flag, or an unexpected lullaby joy.

Luckily it wasn’t two hours of aural pain, but it wasn’t bliss either.

The band, with their hair fading were clearly experienced at this venue (it was their 30th year together after all), and had no problem in winning over the older crowd. Nobody jumped out of their seats and started grooving but neither was there any animosity, creating a relaxed atmosphere to the whole night.

All of the band played their instruments almost with their eyes shut, and there wasn’t a bum note or an out of key lyric to be found.

I’m not sure that the blues is my type of music though. It tries hard with a lot of noise from all involved but not one song stuck in the memory from the whole night. Once finished the songs go out like a light from your mind, tricking you into thinking whether you heard anything in the first place.

Overall it was fun, but perhaps a more livelier atmosphere and band may have really got my musical heart pumping.

Papa-

Well, what a treat for me, ticket brought for me as a birthday present by my better half, so the tickets have been in a safe place for over 2 months.

So accompanied by wife and son, off we go to our local Venue, the marvellous Tivoli Theatre in Wimborne, good seats too, only 3 rows from the front of stage.

This gig is part of the band’s 30 year celebration tour and by the quality of their performance they definitely seem to be enjoying themselves still.

There was no support band however, but this only gives these talented and accomplished musicians the opportunity to show the mastery of the Blues and R& B genre that they possess, during a near 2 hour set.

Being a guitarist myself (I’m not too bad..?) listening and watching the technique of Dave Kelly’s slide guitar work on his maroon Gibson S.G was a delight.

Paul Jones vocals and rapport with the audience made everyone feel part of something special, ably supported by Tom McGuiness’ excellent guitar work on acoustic (especially on “That’s aright”) and Gary Fletchers bass driving the band along. The band’s drummer was replaced for the night, as Rob Townsend had broken his collar bone, slipping on some leaves apparently.

So all in all, an enjoyable night out, go see this band if they are appearing locally to you, I for one will be getting tickets when they are down here again, recommended.


More details on the band can be found here-

http://www.scarboroughad.com/9/events/2009-11-07/159-The-Blues-Band-30th-Anniversary-Tour.html

No comments:

Post a Comment